Thursday, September 9, 2010

Today's Thoughts

Okay so this might seem random, but I was just thinking of some of the on-board equipment I may need to have aboard my vessel when I get her.  Maybe it's just food for thought kind of thing, but I thought it might be useful to at least document some of the things I will need along the way.

Laptop
GPS
Chart Plotter
Charts (Paper/Electronic)
Depth Sounder
Electrical Generator (Solar/Wind/Water)
Generator (Gas/Diesel)
Some kind of internet access (Sat/Wireless)
Some kind of long range communication device (Sat/Wireless)
Short Range Radio/Weather Device
Dinghy
Autopilot Device
Emergency Kit (Life Raft/etc...)

Now I know this isn't a complete list, but I had a brainstorm and had to write it down somewhere.  I want your ideas, so let me know so we can make a complete list.

On another side note I've been thinking about changing my food choices to be more inline with what I may experience on the boat.  So I am going to start writing a little about what I've learned thus far and how I go about taking action.

Edit:
Water Maker

5 comments:

  1. You'll probably want a reverse osmosis system (so you can create fresh water while at sea).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boat Diet: Anything you can fit into a single pot. Nah, there's lots of fantastic ideas out there. One of the awesome things is anchorages often have farmers market nearby. Hop in the dinghy and walk to get your weeks fresh fruit. Nom Nom!

    Water Maker: That's a great idea for when I go cross ocean, one of the down sides to having an RO system is the increased electric use. Apparently those babies can really drain your batteries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You might want to look into a Berkey water system. No electricity needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looked it up and the manufacturer does not recommend using the Berkey system for Salt Water.

    ReplyDelete